StoryCorps: A More Perfect Union
When Theresa Burroughs came of voting age, she was ready to cast her ballot—but she had a long fight ahead of her. During the Jim Crow era, the board of registrars at Alabama's Hale County Courthouse prevented African Americans from registering to vote. Undeterred, Theresa remembers venturing to the courthouse on the first and third Monday of each month, in pursuit of her right to vote.
Choose an Essay from This I Believe essay on the topic of voting (see below)
- Write down the Title of the essay
- Identify thesis statement
- Note the topic sentence of each paragraph
- How does the introductory paragraph prepare the reader for the essay?
- How does the concluding paragraph summarize the reader for the essay?
- Why did you choose this essay? Do you have any further comments?
- Can you imagine your chosen essay as a presentation or a "StoryCorps" video? Why?
- Can you imagine the StoryCorps: A More Perfect Union as an essay? Why?
- We will discuss your results in class
VOANews: What Do the Rest of the Amendments Say?
|What do the rest of the amendments say?|
|What do the rest of the amendments mean?|